Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"MY PERSONAL STORY OF NIGERIA THAT I KNOW"

Whenever I write about Nigeria, her leadership, whether secular or religious as well as her most important national issues, I write based on my own first-hand personal experiences and eye witness accounts of those important national events that have shaped the destiny of Nigeria to date growing up in that country. I know most of the past and the present actors in the corridor of power in Nigeria very well, from the government of Yakubu Gowon to the present government of Jonathan Goodluck.

I personally witnessed the rise of television evangelism and the prosperity gospel in Nigeria as both were pioneered by the late Arch-Bishop Benson Idahosa in the early 1980s with his army of young disciples or devotees, such as, David Oyedepo, Mike Okonkwo, Tunde Joda, George Adeboye, Chris Okotie, Ayo Oritsejafor, Fred Addo, Chris Oyakhilome and many others. I am also a direct eye witness to the sudden rise of legalism in the Nigerian Christianity that was pioneered by Pastor Kumuyi, the then junior lecturer in mathematics from the University of Lagos using his official residential home at Akoka in the early 1980s to promote this new type of Christianity in Nigeria. 


In my adult life, I have also visited 30 of the present 36 states of Nigerian federation. I am also a first-class eye witness of the glory days of the Nigerian Naira as a major international currency in the world and the thriving Nigerian financially vibrant middle class that was made up of university graduates. I saw the rise of mass poverty and hopelessness in Nigeria beginning from the mid 1990s under the military dictatorship of Ibrahim Babangida and the mass craving for religions or the spiritualization of every issue of life in Nigeria due to the terrible state of secular leadership failure in Nigeria and the cloud of hopelessness that enveloped Nigeria. 


I also saw how unabated Islamic fundamentalism of Maitatsine in Kano in the Northern Nigeria grew slowly into the today's Boko Haram in 2013 that is now threatening the corporate existence of Nigeria as a secular state. I witnessed the slowly decaying of our citadels of learning, the massive brain-drain of the nation's best minds and brains in the 1990s as well as the rise of mediocrity in leadership across Nigeria and the gradual death of meritocracy in the Nigerian society"

No comments:

Post a Comment